In this blog, we will discuss “what is Computer system and its types”, their basic definition, their advantages & disadvantages, and finally, we will discuss their types. So, before starting this blog, let us discuss the word “Computer” and Why Computers are so popular all over the world?
Computer: It is an electronic machine that can store, find and arrange information, calculate amounts, and control other machines known as “Computers”
Why are Computers so popular all over the world?
As you all know that computer is a very popular device all over the world. This is because most of the work is done by computer, like today we are forecasting the weather with the help of computers, scientists are using them for their research, and doctors use them to store all the data of their patients on computers. A businessman is using it to manage his stock/inventory, balance sheet, etc., and many other things which are all done with the help of the computer.
Also, read our article “How Computer Is a Useful device” to know more about their uses…
Now, let’s see the meaning of Computer System
WHAT IS A COMPUTER SYSTEM?
“Basically, a computer system is a combination of hardware and software devices that help computers to receive data or information by communicating with each other. It is a set of integrated devices that accept data (input), Then process it and finally give us a result (output) This is known as the”Computer System”.
The computer system work with the help of the main four basic work ‘INPUT’, ‘OUTPUT’, ‘STORAGE’, and ‘PROCESSING’. These four words define the meaning of Computer systems.
It includes a CPU, monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc, and many other components, etc.
Definition of Computer System?
Labeled diagram of Computer System
COMPONENTS OF COMPUTER SYSTEM
- Firmware & Liveware
In a computer system, Hardware is a collection of physical devices,s or we can say that it is an intangible device that can we touch. It is known as “Hardware”. Computer hardware includes Input and output devices, CPU, RAM, SSD & HDD, Motherboard, etc.
- Input & Output Devices
- Input Device: An input device sends the data into the computer system. It allows users to interact with the computer and use it—for example, Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Scanner, Joystick, etc.
- Output Device: An Output device is a device used to send data from the computer to the user. In short, it provides output to the user so that the user can communicate with it—for example Monitor, Printer, Speaker, etc.
- CPU: The CPU is a Central Processing Unit which is a hardware device that is placed in a motherboard and is also known as the “Brain of the Computer”.
- RAM: RAM is a “Random Access Memory” Which is also a hardware device placed within the motherboard. RAM is used to provide the storage to run the application in your computer and it is the primary memory of the computer system.
- SSD & HDD: SSD and HDD both are the storage of the computer and it is secondary memory of the computer system. SSD stands for “Solid State Drive” & HDD stands for “Hard Disk Drive”, both are hardware device which is used to provide storage so that the user can easily store anything like: Software, Videos, Images, etc, and so on.
- MotherBoard: In a c computer, A motherboard is PCB (printed circuit board) which is basically a board where all the other peripherals devices are connected inside it like RAM, CPU, etc. It provides connectors for additional peripherals and stores and permits communication between many of the critical electronic parts of a system.
Software is a collection of instructions, data, or programs that are used to run and execute the programs in a computer. It is basically a program that runs inside the computer like Operating System, Browser, MS Office, etc, and some other applications depending on the category.
Example of Software on category-wise:
- Games: GTA V, Valorant, PUBG etc.
- Video Player: VLC Media Player, Power DVD, etc.
- Editing Software: Photoshop, Filmora, Adobe Illustrator, etc.
- Browser software like Bing, Google Chrome, Brave, Mozilla Firefox, etc.
Firmware & Liveware
Firmware is basically software that contains some basic instructions that allow hardware to communicate with other software known as “Firmware”.
Examples: USB drives, Hard drives, Remote Controls, Printers, etc.
There are some Merits and Demerits of “Computer Systems”
Liveware is basically those users or people who operate a computer system using both hardware and software known as “Liveware”. It is also known as “Humanware”.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Computer
- Used for multi-tasking
- It Provides us with to access more information
- Allows us to better communication and connections
- It helps us for entertainment like playing games, music, movie, and many other entertainment purposes.
- It reduces our load of work
- It is addictive
- It affects our health like back pain, eyestrain, obesity, etc.
- Security risks can be created by the malware.
- It gives us a negative impact on our environment
- Potential for loss of privacy
TYPES OF COMPUTER SYSTEM
The computer system is generally classified by its performance, Their performance is judged by the:
- The amount of data that can be stored in the memory.
- Speed of internal operation of the computer.
- Number and types of peripheral devices.
- Amount and type of software available for use with the computer.
There are basically three types of computer are:
- Analog Computer
- Digital Computer
- Hybrid Computer
These computers are those computers which are mostly used for measurement like Speedometer, Thermometer, Voltmeter, etc. This type of computer works on continuous data values it is known as an “Analog computer”.
Hybrid computers are those computers that provide the features of both analog and digital computers. It uses analog data and digital data, first it takes analog data and then converts it into a digital version for further processing. These are known as “Hybrid Computers”.
Digital Computers are those computers whose has two discrete value “0” and “1” which are also known as binary numbers or machine language. It stores data in a numerical format and performs some calculations and logical operations to provide results to the users so that they can understand easily. These computers are known as “Digital Computers”. For example, the Modern computers are we using right now are digital computers(desktops, laptops, etc).
Types of Digital Computers are:
- Medium-size computers
- Large Computers
- Mainframe Computers
Microcomputers are those computers that are commonly used in terms of personal computers. It uses a single processor for its CPU and It is a digital computer system under the control of a stored program that uses a microprocessor which is also known as “Micro-Chips”. This machine has taken the fullest advantage of the use of large-scale integration on Silicon Chips(It is a very small piece of material inside the computer that is used to carry a complicated electronic circuit)
Since 1971 it has made it possible to put a brain into all sorts of machines. The programmable are stored in the processor are, ROM(Read Only Memory) and RAM (Random Access Memory). The ROM defines the instructions to be executed by the computer while RAM defines the functional equivalent of the computer memory.
Nowadays microcomputers are called personal computers. These are small, relatively inexpensive, etc. Mostly Microcomputer is commonly used in Schools, offices, companies, and for personal uses.
Examples of microcomputers: are laptops, tablets, mobile phones, PDAs (Personal Digital Assistants), etc.
Minicomputers are those computers that possess the features and capabilities of a large computer and it was developed in the mid of 1960s. Minicomputer systems are also known as small mainframe computers which provide faster-operating speeds and larger storage capacities than microcomputers and also, can support a large number of high-speed.
This type of computer system is very flexible and can be improvised to meet the needs of users. Although the minicomputer is not as powerful as the medium or large-size of the computer. which I am going to tell…
Examples of minicomputers: Apple iPad, Samsung tab, Netbook, iPod, etc.
These are those computers that provide faster speed and larger storage capabilities than small Computers(Micro or Minicomputers). These computers can support a large number of high-speed, input-output devices, and several disk drives that can be used to provide online access processing.
The possibility of increasing the data processing and capability of the computer by adding devices, such as adding memory.
Example of a medium-sized computer: IBM’s Power Systems.
large computers are those computers that have the ultimate in flexibility and speed. These computers usually contain full control of the systems with minimal operator intervention.
Large computer systems range from single processing configurations to nationwide computer-based networks involving general large computers. Large computers, it has an internal operating speed that is measured in terms of nanoseconds as compared to the smaller computers where speed is in terms of microseconds.
Examples of large-size computers: Supercomputers and Mainframe computers.
Mainframe computers are huge and multi-user systems that are designed to process the millions of instructions of this computer per second and are capable of accessing billions of data. This is a combination of RAM and many processors and acts as a central processing unit for many workstations.
This computer is commonly used in big hospitals, airline reservations companies, and many other huge companies. It allows its user to maintain large information storage at a centralized location.
These computers are commonly too expensive. A normal person is not able to buy it and It is the second largest in capabilities and size of the Computer Family.
The supercomputer is the biggest, fastest, and very expensive machine. It was developed in the 1960s. This computer is used for highly calculation-intensive tasks such as molecular modeling, climate research, weather forecasting, quantum physics, physical stimulations, etc.
Supercomputers are ultra-fast computers that are designed to process a huge amount of scientific data and then display the underlying patterns which have been discovered.
Supercomputers are powerful machines that have speed in the 100-million-instruction-per-second range. “The government especially uses this type of computer for their different calculations and heavy duties”.
Now it’s time for the Quiz test. Click here on the given button to proceed
2 thoughts on “What is Computer System and Its Types?| Definition| Its Components, Advantages & Disadvantages”
Such a great article. Reading the article from beginning to end was so enlightening. I’m so glad this came up. Knowledge is power.
Thank you ANUJ, I hope you’ll also like our upcoming articles